According to California law, both parents have a responsibility to support their minor children, both natural and adopted, whether or not the parents are, or were ever, married. Either parent can request child support. The amount is based upon the incomes of both parties and how much time each parent has with the child or children. A computer program, used by both attorneys and judges, calculates support using this information.  Self-employed persons and professionals often hire accountants to calculate income and perquisites (personal expenses paid by their companies) available for support.

Child support can be changed when either party’s financial circumstances change. Accountants’ reports are useful to demonstrate change in income.

Child support payments are not taxable to the payee spouse and not tax deductible by the payor spouse.  However, spousal support payments are taxable to the payee spouse and tax deductible by the payor.

Contact Us

You may contact us by e-mail using the form below. We will call you right away.


Email Address:


Your Message

Carlisle Dorafshani Wohl & Associates, Inc. also offers a complete range of accounting and taxation for small businesses and professional corporations.